So I have spent some time with the full game and i am not disappointed at all. Here are some random thoughts:
- The game has an amazing soundtrack. I immediately hit the net and downloaded it and was listening to it this morning.
- The demo doesnt tell you much about the combat aside from attack, jump, block. There is actually a lot more to the combat system in the full game with counters, guard breaks, chains and the like. It isn't as deep as a Ninja Gaiden or DMC, but it is fun.
- The third weapon missing from the demo (Veil) is pretty cool, but I prefer the Arch. Each weapon has their place though and switching between them is a requirement as there is a rock/paper/scissors element to the combat system as well as the fact that the Gale is necessary to find hidden areas.
- I can't emphasize enough how gorgeous this game looks in motion. The screenshots don't do it justice. I also haven't seen this much graphical variation between levels in a long time.
- Unlike most character action games, i actually care about the story in this one, but my love of it might be a bit biased as I am a fan of theology.
- The side-scrolling platforming levels can get really difficult and they harken back to the 16bit days. There is one level in particular that made me think of SMW as it is extremely bright and colorful with cheery music, but has some tricky segments in it.
Overall, it was well worth picking up early for me since not only is it awesome, there is nothing else coming out i care about for awhile. There is a PS3 region-free Asian version coming out in June which supposedly has English options and then the US release is supposed to be Q3. I might pick up the 360 US release to see the differences.
Our battle against the man has been brought to an end by Kung Fu Treachery. Brother, your death will not go unavenged. Fiendish Dr Wu, you done fucked up now!!
- Black Dynamite -