Clocked about 4.5 hours in Mass Effect 3 so far, I'll just go with my Likes/Dislikes for now:
- Control feels a bit "tighter", more responsive than Mass Effect 2
- Just walking down a hallway and recognizing so many characters from past Mass Effect Games
- Better Combat AI
- Planet Scanning even more streamlined by area scanning planets in the solar system to find out which planets have something
- EDI and Joker's chemistry. Plenty of chuckles to be found in this
- The Codex. Love flipping through new entries and have them read to me during "downtime"
- "RPG Mode", "Action Mode", and "Story Mode" RPG Mode is standard Mass Effect, Action Mode cuts back on cutscene and conversation lengths by auto-deciding some choices, Story mode makes Combat laughably easy.
- Streamlined Planet Scanning is balanced by the "Oh SHIT! Reapers are coming for me!" mechanic Using Area Scanning too much draws attention to you.
- Multiplayer. Fuck it.
- Origin PC distribution service - A major "FUCK YOU EA!" on this one. Error-prone, obtrusive, system-hogging, etc. This is the main reason I was forced to pirate it after actually buying the game.
If for some reason you haven't played Mass Effect 1 and 2, you really shouldn't be playing Mass Effect 3 first. The game pretty much starts assuming you know what is going on, but there is enough explanation to go around for the few Mass Effect "newbies" out there.
I'm a bigger X-Strike fan than you.